Leaflet printing may seem like an old-school form of advertising, but they’ve still got an important part to play in your marketing strategy. Easy to read, distribute and visually pleasing, Leaflets come with countless benefits.
Creating a Leaflet tailored to your business is a fantastic way of directly promoting your brand. They allow you to target and distribute your message to a wide audience, helping your latest campaign to make a bigger impact. Plus, Leaflets are a cost-effective marketing tool that gives your customers all the information they need in one handy place.
Read our simple guide below and discover the variety of Leaflet sizes, styles and paper types available.
There are several different Leaflet styles available that you can use for your next promotion. Whether you want to spread the word about your company or advertise a special event, the right type of Leaflet ensures your recipients have all the information they need – helping you get the most out of your marketing efforts.
Flat: A sheet of paper printed either single or double-sided. This classic format of Leaflet printing is the most popular due to its simplicity in design and print.
Folded: Created in a concertina style, a Folded Leaflet has heaps of benefits. It can display lots of information and imagery and comes with a versatile selection of folding styles.
Folding styles for Folded Leaflets include:
- Half Fold: The paper is simply divided into two equal sections. For example, an A5 Half Fold Leaflet will consist of a landscape A4 page folded in half down the middle.
- Z-Fold: The paper is folded like an accordion into three equal segments. This is commonly used for DL size Leaflets that appear as 1/3 A4.
- Roll Fold: Similar to a Z-fold as it’s split into three sections, but the difference is it has overlapping panels.
- Cross Fold: Typically using A6 as a standard size, the paper is separated into four equal sections – two at the top of the Leaflet and two at the bottom.
- Double Parallel Fold: The Leaflet is divided into four equal panels alongside each other.
- Gate Fold: Usually in an A5 size, the Leaflet is split into three sections with two smaller panels either side of one larger panel.
- Map Fold: The paper is folded into eight equal sections, with four panels at the top and four at the bottom.
- Concertina Fold: The paper is folded like a concertina and can have various numbers of panels, depending on the Leaflet dimensions.
When it comes to selecting your Leaflet size, keep in mind the goals you want to achieve. Smaller paper sizes are handy if you’re looking to distribute Leaflets through letterboxes or place them into gift bags to give away at trade shows. However, they can only hold a limited amount of information. Opting for a larger size means you have ample space to include all your essential information and can explore more creative possibilities.
While A5 remains the standard Leaflet size, there are many different options available. Check out our comprehensive Leaflet size guide below:
|Leaflet size||Size in cm||Size in mm||Size in inches|
|A7||7.4 x 10.5||74 x 105||2.9 x 4.1|
|A6||10.5 x 14.8||105 x 148||4.1 x 5.8|
|A5||14.8 x 21||148 x 210||5.8 x 8.3|
|A4||21 x 29.7||210 x 297||8.3 x 11.7|
|A3||29.7 x 42||297 x 420||11.7 x 16.5|
|A2||42 x 59.4||420 x 594||16.5 x 23.4|
|DL||9.9 x 21||99 x 210||8.3 x 3.9|
|Square||7.4 x 7.4
10.5 x 10.5
12.5 x 12.5
14.8 x 14.8
|74 x 74
105 x 105
125 x 125
148 x 148
210 x 210
|2.9 x 2.9
4.1 x 4.1
4.9 x 4.9
5.8 x 5.8
8.3 x 8.3
We have created Leaflet design templates for all of the above sizes which you are able to download and use for free.
Leaflet paper types & finishes
The final touch to a bespoke Leaflet is the paper type and finish. Tying in with the choices made on your style, fold and size, the texture of a Leaflet highlights all the individual elements. From eco-friendly materials to a shiny finish which enhances colouring, choosing the right paper type and finish can have a big impact.
The common Leaflet options available include:
- Silk: Provides a high-quality colour and luxurious feel without the shine of gloss. The is one of the most popular choices for Leaflets.
- Gloss: Its polished finish provides a high shine that highlights colours and striking visuals.
- Recycled: The sustainable choice, Recycled Leaflets are ideal for businesses that want to demonstrate their green credentials.
- Laminated: The laminated finish adds thicker, stronger protection to Leaflets, ideal if you’re handing them out in the open air.
- Spot UV: Has an eye-catching coated finish which is applied to certain aspects of the Leaflet, such as a logo, to add focus.
When selecting the paper type for your Leaflet, you should also be aware of the paper weight. This is measured in gsm (grams per square metre). The higher the gsm, the thicker your paper. For Leaflets, this is available between 130gsm and 400gsm, with higher weights mainly available for Laminated and Spot UV paper.